Getting WiFi in France
Given that the Internet is such an integral part of our daily lives, connecting easily to it has become an absolute necessity. When you’re travelling around France, you can now forget about exorbitant roaming fees!
As soon as you arrive at Charles de Gaulle or Orly airports, free unlimited WiFi access is available through your smartphone and you won’t need to download any special software to get connected – all you need to do is complete a short form.
Elsewhere in France, if you land in cities such as Toulouse, Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille and Nice, free unlimited WiFi is also available, in some case in renewable 30min time slots.
Wherever you are, the 256 Kbps connection speed will enable you to get online, browse the Internet and send and receive emails.
Paris… 400 WiFi hotspots
As you’re travelling around exploring the city’s main sights, Paris is doing everything it can to make your online life easier. Whether you’re in a museum, a park or local library, you can take advantage of 400 WiFi hotspots found in 260 locations around Paris which will help you explore the City of Light.
A free WiFi system is also in place in Bordeaux, Marseille and Nice.
By contrast, Lyon offers a fee-paying service (HIPPOCKETWIFI). At the city’s tourist office, you can rent a small device that you can slip into your pocket and which provides a fast Internet connection around the city.
This high-speed connection, available virtually everywhere around Lyon, will even enable to you to get a connection as you’re travelling by boat on the Rhône and Saône rivers.
Tailor-made solutions: Travel WiFi and My Webspot
If all you need is an Internet connection, without the need for any of the services offered by the cities you’re visiting, several French companies can provide a simple and cost-effective solution for you.
Travel WiFi and My Webspot can rent you a mobile hotspot (also known as a mifi).This small pocket-sized mobile WiFi device enables you to stay connected anywhere in France and can be rented via a couple of clicks before you leave home – plus it will be delivered directly to your accommodation by post (in France) or courier (in Paris).
- An individual WiFi hotspot for your mobile phone.
- No roaming charges.
- A non-stop connection wherever you go.
- 3G or 4G access.
- Available throughout France.
- Automatic connection for up to 10 mobile devices.
How does it work?
- Reserve your travel WiFi mobile hotspot in just a couple of clicks before you leave home.
- It will then be delivered to your accommodation by post (in France) or by courier (in Paris).
- To get started, all you need to do is turn on your mobile WiFi router, wait a few seconds then connect up to 10 devices to your private WiFi hotspot.
- Returning your router is just as simple thanks to the pre-paid envelope provided. Just pop the device inside and post it back to us via a letterbox.
If you need to make and receive calls as well, the best solution may be to buy a French SIM card and pre-paid mobile and Internet cards.