Aix en Provence, quintessential Provence
The stylish city of Aix enjoys a wonderful sunny climate, and its streetsand squares are always vibrant and full of life.History is the backdrop to everyday life here: the grace and splendourof Baroque architecture are all around as you stroll through the streets,have fun shopping or relax on a café terrace. Each fountain has itssecrets, each private mansion has its tale to tell. Country homes standin parks and gardens as in past centuries.
Aix is a mosaic of pictures, bright, with the colours of festivals, festivitiesand traditions, Provençal markets, sun-ripened foods, countrywalks and countless leisure activities…… And the colours of Cézanne: coming here, you will actually get toknow the father of modern painting, among the places and landscapeswhich marked his life, his outlook and his work.Our city is always welcoming, and offers so much to see, experienceand discover.
Aix Region…A whole range of exciting outings!
Around Aix, follow the paths of history and discovermonuments, castles, chapels, shrines and other wonderfulhistorical buildings.Feast your taste buds with good food, festivals of local produce,our vineyards with five AOCs, our Provençal specialities and oilmills.
You will love the beautiful hilltop villages with their artists’studios and craft workshops, the Cézanne road and itsmagnificent panoramas, and the spectacular landscapesof the Grand Site Sainte-Victoire. Nature will lift your spiritshere, as you walk in the mountains and the Mediterranean forest.From the Côtes hills to the Touloubre range, from the uppervalley of the Arc to the Durance valley, this vast area is yoursto enjo all year round.
- Discover the city with an enthusiastic guide
Read Aix like an open book, don't miss any of its beauties, discover its hidden decors, learn about its prestigious past, its architecture, its heritage and its monuments, enter its private mansions, enjoy surprising anecdotes, walk in the steps of Cézanne… This is what awaits you with tour guides and our story-tellers.
- Calissons: indulge yourself
The calisson sweet is THE great speciality of Aix-en-Provence. Each year since 1995 the "blessing of the calissons" has been held in the church of St Jean de Malte in Aix-en-Provence. Watch this unique event if you are in Aix at the time. Now you know its history, try it for yourself: visit a confectionery or a traditional factory and discover the inimitable taste of this delicious sweet.
- Feel the intensity of Cézanne's places
Open the door of Cézanne's studio and enter the artist's private world. Discover the house where he began painting, by exploring the grounds and the family property of Jas de Bouffan. See some of his works in the space dedicated to him in the Granet Museum. In the Bibémus Quarries, look through Cézanne's eyes at Sainte-Victoire opposite you.Walk in Cézanne's footsteps and visit the city as he experienced it.
- Stroll around the historic city
Bathed in the sunshine of its wonderful climate, the elegance of Aix-en-Provence can be seen everywhere in its lively streets and squares. Here, history is the setting for everyday life that blends the fun of shopping with the city's noble heritage, the pleasure of a cafe terrace with architectural beauty, a stroll through the town with Baroque splendour.
- Stop for a while on Cours Mirabeau
Once a street for horse-drawn carriages, Cours Mirabeau is now one of the busiest and liveliest places in the city, steeped in history and the perfect place for a stroll.
- Experience the sensations of a market
In Aix there are as many markets as days in the week. From fruit and vegetables to antiquarian books to the flower markets, they fill the city with sound and colour.
- See an authentic 18th-century Aix residence
Not far from the bustle of the city centre, surrounded by French-style gardens, the Vendôme Pavilion is in one of the loveliest "follies" (pleasure houses) remaining from the 17th century. This place of peace and beauty reflects the splendour and fine living of bygone days.
- Enjoy the city's night-life
The mild climate of Aix-en-Provence makes it a great place for night-life. With a casino, three cinemas, more than ten discotheques and lots of bars and pubs, not to mention concert halls, theatres and cafe-theatres, night-birds won't be disappointed in Aix!
Events in Aix and Aix region
- Antiques Fair in Pertuis
- Procession of the Kings in Aix-en-Provence
- Arts Fair in Gardanne
- Fun Fair in Aix-en-Provence
- Provence Writers’ Day in Trets
- Wine and food fair in Pertuis
- Ronde des Mineurs race in Gréasque
- Painting and Sculpture Fair in Les Pennes Mirabeau
- King René’s Fair / Mediaeval Market in Peyrolles
- Horse Fair in Calas
- Easter Festival in Aix-en-Provence
- Transhumance Festival in Éguilles
- Cherry Festival in La Roque d’Anthéron
- Floral Procession in Pertuis
- «Vivre Côté Sud» Show («Southern Living»)in Aix-en-Provence
- International Guitar Festival in Lambesc
- Summer Festival in Le Puy Sainte-Réparade
- Fine Food Festival in Châteauneuf-le-Rouge
- Festival of Lyric Art in Aix-en-Provence
- Big Band Festival in Pertuis
- Mediaeval Fair in Trets
- International Piano Festival in La Roque d’Anthéron
- Pilgrimage to Notre Dame de Consolation in Jouques
- Blessing of Calissons in Aix-en-Provence
- Chocolate and Sweets Fair in Les Pennes Mirabeau
- Pumpkin Fair in Rognes
- Start of Christmas Festivities in Aix-en-Provence
- Grand Truffle and Food Market in Rognes
Visit the town
All year round, guided tours are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10 am, exploring the charms of the town, the elegance of its townhouses, and the beauty of its architecture and its monuments. From April through October, one visit is held per day at 10 am – focusing on a different theme every morning.
CEZANNE PASS | €12
• Visit the 3 Cézanne sites, where he lived, found inspiration and worked:Cézanne’s studio, Jas de Bouffan house, Bibémus quarries
• 1 entry per site (booking advised)
On sale at: Aix-en-Provence TouristOffice, Cézanne’s studio and Jas de Bouffan house (*shuttle to Bibémusquarries not included)
AIX-AIX REGION PASS | €2
• Discounts in partner museums, sites and vineyards
• Half price on guided tours with Tourist Offices in Aix and Aix region
• Valid for 1 person, no time limit
- On sale at: Aix-en-Provence Tourist Office.
Getting to Aix-en-Provence
Marseille-Provence international airport is only 25 minutes by car from Aix en Provence and less than an hour from the main historical tourist sites of Provence. It is the only international airport in the heart of Provence.
The "Aix-en-Provence TGV" station provides new access to the TGV in the Aix area: you no longer have to go to Marseille.The TGV Mediterranée links Aix en Provence with the whole of France as well as Europe (direct lines to Brussels, Geneva, and connections to London, Amsterdam, Cologne and Milan).
Coming by car : Motorway A7 - A46 & A8 - A54 & A9
Aix-en-Provence Tourist Office
300 avenue Giuseppe Verdi
Tel: +33 (0)4 42 16 11 61